Paris is the background for this view down the Champs-Elysees
through the Grille de Chaillot. Thomas Jefferson's house, the
Hotel de Langeac, was on the left at the near corner. Jefferson
lived here while minister to France in the 1780's, and extensively
remodeled the interior.
Memorial plaque marking where Thomas Jefferson lived in Paris.
Located on the Champs Elysees near rue de Berri. Translation: "In this place resided Thomas Jefferson/Minister of the United States to France 17851789/President of the United States 18011809/Author of the American Declaration of Independence/Founder of the University of Virginia/This plaque was affixed on the 13th of April 1919, by the care of old
students of the University of Virginia, soldiers of the World War, in
commemoration of the 100th anniversary of the founding of the
Jefferson lived and worked at this site in a mansion called Langeac from 1785 until he left Paris to return to America in 1789. The mansion has been replaced by a commercial and apartment building. In 1785, Paris was much smaller than it is now and the district, the Faubourg du Roule, was newly developed by King's brother, the Count d'Artois.
Jefferson's mansion was large and had a garden in the back. He had a number of servants, including James Hemings, a slave from his Virginia plantation and brother of Sally Hemings.
(Click to enlarge) Engraving of the construction of the Hotel de Salm. Jefferson watched this construction from the shores of the Seine. When it was finished, this was Jefferson's favorite building in Paris. Today it still exists as the edifice housing the French Legion of Honor.